Thursday, January 22, 2015

Breakfast Lasagne



















 
 
 
 
 



 
 

 




 Years ago, before kids, I was totally a morning person.  The moment I saw sunlight I was up and out of bed singing with the birds. Well, maybe not literally singing out loud.  My husband and kids have subtly notified me that singing  is something I should reserve for alone time only.  In my minds-eye though, the opening scenes of Cinderella were an exact replica of my mornings.  Now that I have two school-aged kids, my mornings are more like the crazy rabbit guy in Alice in Wonderland.  "I'm late.  I'm late for a very important date." 
   I love how my pre-schooler tries his best to convince me each and every morning that it is, in fact, a weekend and he needs to go back to sleep.   My 2nd grader is even worse and doesn't even acknowledge me presents with more than a grunt.  She knows, though, she only has two visits from me gently informing her that it's time to get up and reminding her of the wonderful day she has in store for her.  The third time I go in for the kill...I sing to her!  At this time, I like to hear myself as Mary Poppins but again no one else makes that connection.
    My sweet little 3 year old clone is, surprise-surprise, a morning person just like me.  She likes to come in our room between 5:45 and 6:00 every morning.  With a kid like her, we rarely have a need for an alarm clock but we set it anyway with hopes of getting those last 10 minutes of precious sleep.  This morning she bounced in our room around 5:40 for her daily dose of snuggle time with her daddy.  I used the extra time to convert a recipe for breakfast so we wouldn't have to same ole' scrambled eggs and bacon that we always have.  Once again, I used "zoodles" to replace the crepes that the original recipe called for.  After a few other tweaks the recipe turned out great!  The tang of the sun-dried tomatoes and the freshness from the herbs combined with the saltiness of the bacon was a very welcoming experience this morning.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Ingredients:
  • 2 Zucchini
  • 8 pieces of bacon
  • 8 large Eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 13.5 oz can Coconut Milk
  • One 7-ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • Coconut Oil Spray
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Fry or bake bacon until crispy.  Set aside.
  3. Cut Ends off zucchini.  Using a mandolin, slice each zucchini into "noodles" about the thickness of a traditional lasagna noodle.
  4. Whisk eggs and coconut milk in a large bowl.  Add tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt and pepper and mix well. 
  5. Prepare an 8x12 baking dish with coconut oil spray.
  6. layer dish with half the zucchini noodles
 
      7.  next half the egg mixture 
 
 
      8.  Top with crumbled bacon.  Repeat each layer with remaining ingredients.
      9.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until puffy and golden brown.
 
 Enjoy!  Let me know what you think of this recipe!

 
 
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis' Breakfast Lasagne
 

No comments:

Post a Comment